(An assignment in a writing class was to put these words I write because… at the top of a page and then free write for 15 minutes without stopping. I just wrote the first things that came to my mind, though I edited it a bit for blogging purposes.)
MY FREE WRITE EXERCISE
I write because I love to hold a pen in my hand and write words on a page. Just the feeling of it helps me to relax. Maybe it’s something about getting out all the jumbled up words in my head.
I would be lost without the ability to record my thoughts on paper. It is freeing to get the words out even if they don’t make sense at first.
I write to:
- dispel the lies that we are not good enough.
- explore my feelings. Writing can be a soothing exercise that also brings me joy.
- express my feelings, using words to show what pictures are in my mind.
- share what I have learned with others. I want to help make people happy.
- express thought using poetry at times, because it helps me to use metaphors and similes.
I write because…
- I love to do it. It helps me think about things. I especially like it when I start a poem and it seems to write itself.
- it gives me a sense of accomplishment. Even if no one else reads it I have a record of my thoughts.
- it’s often easier to print it rather than speak it. Sometimes it helps to get my thoughts together before actually telling someone else what I think on a matter. By writing it first I can edit to make it sound better and more understandable.
- I believe God has given me an ability to use words to bring light into darkness, to lift the spirits of people who are leaning towards depression.
I write because I have to. It is one of the ways I find peace.
I can never stop writing about God, the Creator of the world who made me in His image with the ability to create in my own finite way. Full of grace and mercy, He is the One who loves me, forgives all my sin and cares for all creation. He has given me a love for people, a desire to write, to photograph things, to share His love with all those who cross my path. I want everyone to know Him. He is the One who brings us hope.
Maybe you write for some of the same reasons? I’d love to hear your thoughts!